Pier 1 Coming Up Short; Pizza Hut Getting Skinny or Skimpy?; Lincoln Logs Makes Its American Re-Debut

Down but not out…

Image courtesy of Keerati/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Image courtesy of Keerati/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Pier 1 Imports took a beating on its second quarter earnings. Not because it didn’t earn a profit, which it did. But because the profit just wasn’t good enough – make that high enough. Net income – or as the simple people like me say, profit, – came in at $9.2 million which amounted to $0.10 per share. That’s nice and all but earnings of $0.13 per share would have been a lot nicer according to those hard to please analysts. Especially since last year the company pulled in a $17.8 million profit. Revenue for the company was $418.6 million. But once again, that figure just wasn’t enough to please those Wall Street analysts who were looking to see numbers closer to $427 million. Shares of the Texas-based chain have been down 32% since the beginning of the year. Not exactly encroaching disastrous Radio Shack territory but still, the company is looking to close some of its 1000 plus stores. Though how many is still not clear. There will also be a little less coupon clipping for the store as those will now be yanked, although perhaps not entirely. The question remains, however: Where have all those shoppers gone who used to grace those stores with their presence and credit cards? Hmmm.

The new skinny…

Image courtesy of suphakit73/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Image courtesy of suphakit73/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Pizza Hut has got big plans to make you skinny. Okay that’s a stretch but the chain is unveiling (which sounds so much more dramatic than it actually is) it’s latest plan to gain back some market share in the contentious food turf war that it has been losing as of late. Dubbed the “Skinny Slice,” Pizza Hut’s latest menu addition is, in fact, not sold by the slice. Also, it should be duly noted that this new slice also uses the same exact ingredients as in a regular slice – just less of them. Pizza Hut diners in Ohio and Florida will be among the first who get to sample the new fare. Pizza Hut is hoping to attract those finicky Millenials who seem to prefer chains like Chipotle and Panera bread that apparently serve up healthier, higher quality fare. Go figure.

Quit toying with me… 

Image courtesy of sattva/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Image courtesy of sattva/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Arguably a classic in the Canon of America toys (I made that up), Lincoln Logs, whose license is owned by another classic-in the making, K’NEX, makes its way back to the shores of the US all the way from China (where else?). Created almost a century ago by John Lloyd Wright, one of famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s children, the toy will now, once again, be manufactured in the United States – well 80% of it anyways. Naturally, the other 20% will still be made in China (again, where else?). Pride Manufacturing, located in Burnham, Maine,  the company that will manufacture 80% of the Lincoln Logs, conveniently enough, already makes wooden toys. The new move will create between 5-10 jobs in the US.