Branson’s Bexit Woes; IKEA is the Latest Company to Issue Recall; Airbnb Takes on San Francisco

Pound it out…

ID-10073893

Image courtesy of supakitmod/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Add Sir Richard Branson to the ever-growing list of Brexit haters. And he’s right to be hating on it. Besides the fact that global stocks took a $3 trillion hit on Friday and Monday,  Branson estimates that his own company, the Virgin Group, already lost a third of its value. Branson went on to say that, “We are heading towards a disaster. I don’t believe the public realized what a mess their vote would cost.” And considering he’s worth close to $5 billion, he probably knows a thing or two about the downsides of the Brexit. He’s convinced Britain is on the fast lane to recession territory and thinks a second vote is in order as 4 million people have already signed a petition urging a new referendum. Ironically, the billionaire has no voting rights in Britain since he doesn’t actually live there but rather in the British Virgin Islands. However, his company employs 50,000 people in the United Kingdom, most of whom do have voting rights, presumably. I hope none of them were foolish enough to vote in favor of the Brexit. I’d hate to be “that guy.” In any case, Branson feels that the British public was not adequately informed about the potentially disastrous consequences. He warned that thousands of jobs would be lost and even had to put the kibosh on one of his own deals that was in the works.

 

No words…

ID-100246924

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

There’s yet another recall in effect and this time it doesn’t even have to do with Volkswagen. Sadly, this recall comes courtesy of IKEA, which had to recall some 29 million dressers that caused the deaths of six children, all under the age of four.  Another 36 have been injured. The most recent tragedy occurred as recently as this past February. These dressers included six styles from the company’s MALM line, that cost between $70 and $200, and were manufactured between January 2002 and January 2016. The company will issue full refunds for the furniture in question but is also offering wall-anchoring repair kits and even free one-time installations upon request should consumers wish to keep their dressers. Just 30,000 repair kits have been issued which represents but 1% of the total amount of dressers that were sold and still require anchoring. Regulators had called the dressers unsafe. The recall affects about half of the dressers that IKEA sells in the US.

Home bitter home…

ID-10041817

Image courtesy of supakitmod/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

It’s Airbnb v. the city of San Francisco, with the home-sharing site charging that the city is violating the “Communications Decency Act, a federal law that prevents the government from holding websites accountable for the content that is published by their users.” It all started when San Francisco lawmakers decided to impose tougher rules for Airbnb and friends, which stipulated that the site could only post listings from renters registered with the city. The problem is, according to Airbnb, home-sharers were often confused by the process, which continues to be mired in the usual mess we call bureaucracy, and takes months to complete – months that could be used earning additional incomes from their homes. San Francisco wants Airbnb to enforce its rules, that listers be removed from the site unless they are registered. If Airbnb does not comply, the company could face fines of up to $1000 per day and even jail time for some employees. Mind you, only 20% of listers who rent out their homes for less than thirty days are registered with the city. Lawmakers want Airbnb to do its dirty work for them and remove the remaining 80% of listers from the site. Airbnb operates in more than 200 countries and has a valuation of $25 billion, at least as of today.

Advertisements

One response to “Branson’s Bexit Woes; IKEA is the Latest Company to Issue Recall; Airbnb Takes on San Francisco

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s